- The original IAB sizes were created with lower screen resolutions in mind. Since better screens now have widespread adoption, it's now necessary to introduce larger sizes to provide a similar ad experience.In his post, Eric Picard calls for widespread adoption of the new formats. The success of new IAB sizes relies on support from players at every stage in the display ecosystem.
- Now that we have the first new formats available in a decade, it's on the shoulders of media buyers and publishers to force this issue.
- First, media buyers must demand this inventory from publishers at scale. They should be pushing to get these units on every page of every publisher they buy from.
- As for publishers, they need to enable (and quickly) every page on their sites to immediately adopt these units as their standard unit.
- Publishers also need to make sure that these new units are not held aside as special options.
- Publishers must also make sure that these new units are made available for programmatic buying and selling.
- If media buyers demand that all their buys fit these new formats, and if publishers ensure that there is no friction in acquiring ads in these formats at scale, the whole industry will significantly benefit.
How will your brand use the new IAB ad sizes? What do you think are the advantages or disadvantages to using these formats?